06/16/2026
Who knew that the house had a connection to Ottawaâs colourful past.
BYTOWN BICENTENNIAL BYTE! AYLEN-HENEY HOUSE⊠The stone cottage at 150 Richmond Road is a link to the colourful world of Bytownâs lumber industry in the early 19th century. Peter Aylen (1799-1868), "a man of insatiable ambition" according to his biographer Michael Cross, was a successful timber producer and later public official who held cutting rights along the Gatineau and Madawaska rivers in the 1830s and 1840s.
For a time, Aylen was known as the âKing of the Shiners,â leading Irish Catholic labourers in a campaign of violence in Lowertown against French-Canadians, led by Joseph Montferrand, who were competing for work in the lumber camps. Known as the 'Shiners' Wars,â the open violence only came to an end with the creation of the Ottawa Lumber Association.
Aylen purchased land on Richmond Road near present day Kirkwood Avenue in 1821 and 1825. He established a 150-acre farm containing a two-storey house, barns, and other outbuildings, as advertised for lease in the Bytown Gazette in 1836. Aylen moved to a farm in Lower Canada on the north side of the Ottawa River in 1837, following several years of promoting violence in Bytown affairs.
John 'Buffalo' Heney (1814-1896) purchased the property in 1854 where his family remained for nearly 100 years. âBuffaloâ Heney was so named to distinguish him from the more prominent John Heney, a Lowertown businessman, politician and temperance campaigner. He was successful in the leather manufacturing business and in real estate in Upper Town, and he represented Wellington Ward on city council for six years.
Heneyâs son, Frederick, continued to live in the house with his wife. They called it "Syringa Cottageâ according to the birth announcements that appeared in the newspapers in the 1890s. In 1900, the family moved across the street to a 33-room mansion that they designed and built. It was referred to as âCarleton Lodgeâ in birth notices and in newspaper reports of the lavish social events the Heneys hosted there. The mansion was demolished in 1947 to make way for the construction of the Canadian Bank Note Company, which remains on the site today.
Ottawa entrepreneur Eric Cohen purchased 150 Richmond Road from the Heneyâs in 1988. It was his research of the property's history that led to its designation under the Ontario Heritage Act that same year. The designation by-law includes this description:
"The symmetrical design and unusual proportions exhibit a layering of architectural changes reflected by a vernacular blend of English Georgian stylistic features with traditional French Canadian building elements. Of particular note are the large rough-cut stone coins, half-round fanlight over the centre entrance, casement windows and metal-clad mansard roof with flared or bell-cast eaves. These architectural features, combined with the buildingâs close proximity to the street, create a minor landmark along this section of Richmond Road."
Cohen carried out a major restoration of the house, converting it from a rough, derelict residential duplex to an impressive updated heritage commercial property, now the offices of ZW Group.
The next time youâre travelling or walking along that stretch of Richmond Road, take moment to stop and admire this impressive little stone house.
Sources
Ottawa Historical Society. The Shiners' War.
https://www.historicalsocietyottawa.ca/publications/ottawa-stories/momentous-events-in-the-city-s-life/the-shiners-war
Michael S. Cross, âAylen (Vallely), Peter,â in Dictionary of Canadian Biography: https://www.biographi.ca/en/bio/aylen_peter_9E.html
Dave Allston. âEarly Days: Richmond Roadâs Home With a Forgotten Name,â Kitchissippi Times, August 18, 2016.
Dave Allston. âHidden History of Kitchissippi's Own Pioneer House,â Kitchissippi Times, February 4,
CAPSULES DU BICENTENAIRE DE BYTOWN! MAISON AYLEN-HENEY... La maison de style cottage au 150, chemin Richmond est un lien Ă lâĂšre tumultueuse de lâindustrie du bois Ă Bytown au dĂ©but du 19e siĂšcle. Peter Aylen (1799-1868) Ă©tait « un homme Ă lâambition insatiable », selon son biographe Michael Cross. Il Ă©tait un producteur de bois prospĂšre, titulaire de droits de coupe le long des riviĂšres Gatineau et Madawaska dans les annĂ©es 1830 et 1840. Avec le temps, il assumera aussi diverses responsabilitĂ©s publiques.
Ă une Ă©poque, Aylen Ă©tait « le roi des Shiners », des ouvriers irlandais catholiques qui menaient une campagne de violence dans la Basse-Ville contre les Canadiens français dirigĂ©s par Joseph (« Jo ») Montferrand, en concurrence pour le travail dans les camps de bĂ»cherons. Câest ce quâon appellera la « guerre des Shiners ». La brutalitĂ© ouverte ne prendra fin quâavec la crĂ©ation de lâOttawa Lumber Association.
Aylen a achetĂ© du terrain sur le chemin Richmond, prĂšs de lâavenue Kirkwood dâaujourdâhui, en 1821 et 1825. Il y Ă©tablit une ferme de 150 acres avec une maison de deux Ă©tages, des granges et autres dĂ©pendances, le tout annoncĂ© Ă louer dans la Bytown Gazette en 1836. En 1837, Aylen dĂ©mĂ©nage dans une ferme au Bas-Canada, du cĂŽtĂ© nord de la riviĂšre des Outaouais, aprĂšs avoir passĂ© des annĂ©es Ă fomenter la violence Ă Bytown.
John « Buffalo » Heney (1814-1896) achĂšte la propriĂ©tĂ© en 1854. Sa famille y vivra presque 100 ans. « Buffalo » Heney avait reçu son surnom pour le distinguer dâun autre John Heney, Ă©minent homme dâaffaires de la Basse-Ville, politicien et militant en faveur de la tempĂ©rance. Il a connu le succĂšs dans la fabrication dâarticles de cuir et dans lâimmobilier dans la Haute-Ville, et il reprĂ©sentera pendant six ans le quartier Wellington au conseil municipal.
Son fils Frederick et son Ă©pouse continueront de vivre dans la maison. Ils lâappelaient « Syringa Cottage », selon les annonces de naissance parues dans les journaux dans les annĂ©es 1890. En 1900, la famille dĂ©mĂ©nage de lâautre cĂŽtĂ© de la rue dans un manoir quâils ont conçu et construit. On lâappelait « Carleton Lodge » dans de nouvelles annonces de naissance et dans des articles de journal sur de somptueuses rencontres sociales quây organisaient les Heney. Le manoir sera dĂ©moli en 1947 pour faire place Ă lâimmeuble de la Compagnie canadienne des billets de banque, qui est toujours lĂ aujourdâhui.
Lâentrepreneur ottavien Eric Cohen achĂštera le 150, chemin Richmond des Heney en 1988. La mĂȘme annĂ©e, les recherches quâil effectue sur lâhistoire de la propriĂ©tĂ© mĂšnent Ă sa dĂ©signation en vertu de la Loi sur le patrimoine de lâOntario. Le rĂšglement de dĂ©signation comprend cette description :
« La symĂ©trie et les proportions inhabituelles tĂ©moignent dâune superposition de changements architecturaux visibles dans une combinaison vernaculaire dâĂ©lĂ©ments de style gĂ©orgien anglais et dâĂ©lĂ©ments traditionnels canadiens français. En particulier, il y a les pierres dâangle de taille grossiĂšre, lâimposte semi-circulaire au-dessus de lâentrĂ©e centrale, les fenĂȘtres Ă battants, le toit mansardĂ© Ă revĂȘtement mĂ©tallique et les avant-toits Ă©vasĂ©s ou en cloche. Ces Ă©lĂ©ments architecturaux, ainsi que la proximitĂ© de lâimmeuble de la rue, font que lâimmeuble est un immeuble marquant sur ce tronçon du chemin Richmond. »
Cohen a mené à bien une grande restauration de la maison. Il a transformé un duplex résidentiel délabré en impressionnante propriété patrimoniale commerciale qui abrite maintenant les bureaux du groupe ZW.
La prochaine fois que vous passez par cette section du chemin Richmond, prenez le temps de vous arrĂȘter pour admirer cette merveilleuse petite maison en pierre.
Sources
SociĂ©tĂ© historique dâOttawa. « La guerre des Shiners ».
https://www.historicalsocietyottawa.ca/publications/ottawa-stories/momentous-events-in-the-city-s-life/the-shiners-war
Michael S. Cross, « Aylen (Vallely), Peter », dans Dictionnaire biographique du Canada : https://www.biographi.ca/fr/bio/aylen_peter_9F.html
Dave Allston. « Early Days: Richmond Roadâs Home With a Forgotten Name », Kitchissippi Times, 18 aoĂ»t 2016.
Dave Allston. « Hidden History of Kitchissippi's Own Pioneer House », Kitchissippi Times, 4 février 2019.