17/06/2026
The Eddystone Series · Part Four of Six
The shore connection.
This is the part of the story that belongs directly to Cawsand and Kingsand.
In 1882, the current lighthouse was completed - designed by James Douglass, Engineer-in-Chief of Trinity House, standing 49 metres above the sea. Twenty years later, in 1902, Trinity House built something equally important on shore.
A fog signal station at Penlee Point. Less than a mile from Cawsand, along the coast path.
Three substantial cottages were built to house the keepers and their families. A fog signal building housed twin reed horns that sounded a blast every ten seconds whenever the lighthouse disappeared from view. Keepers watched the Eddystone from this headland, day and night, through two world wars and for over eighty years.
Children grew up at Penlee Point with the sound of the horn and the light on the horizon. At least one person who lived there from childhood still lives in Cawsand today.
When the lighthouse became fully automatic in 1982, ending 284 years of human keepers, control passed to the Penlee Point station. The Eddystone has been monitored from this headland ever since.
The signal houses you can see from the coast path above Cawsand are not just old buildings. They are the shore-side heart of the lighthouse’s story. A direct, living link to the light nine miles out to sea.