06/15/2026
Charles A. Wickham House Built in 1890 by Jerome Bibb Legg Original address: 401 North Taylor Current address: 4487 McPherson
This house at the corner of Taylor and McPherson was built in 1890 for Charles A. Wickham at the northwest corner of the streets, and originally had its front door facing Taylor. Wickham was a restauranteur, and owned the Grand Restaurant downtown. Wickham only lived at the house for two years before it was acquired by Charles W. Nugent for 30,000. Nugent was vice president of the Nugent's Dry Goods Company, and lived at the house until 1905. At the time, he made a deal with Herbert Vrooman to trade his residence and lots around it for some existing apartments on Lindell, and Vrooman planned to build an apartment complex on the site.
After the agreement was made, Nugent had a new mansion built in Kingsbury Place. As Vrooman prepared to build the apartment complex, he had a permit for 2000 to move the house across the street, and another 1000 permit for the new foundation. The house was moved across the street and rotated so that the front faces McPherson, and Vrooman had the house converted into high end apartments. Today, the house is one of the few in the Central West End that are still used as a multi family dwelling.
This house was built by architect Jerome Bibb Legg in the Queen Anne style for 17,000. At the time of its completion, it was considered to be one of the finest homes in the neighborhood. The house features two large towers, one in front and one in back, as well as a large keyhole window on the second floor.
Legg had designed and built a number of fine Queen Anne homes around the city at this time, including at least three on Lindell, several on West Pine, and two on Delmar, one on which was the Culver House. Legg was diverse in his architectural abilities, and had redesigned the Missouri State Capitol a year before building this house, as well as having dozens of major projects before that, such as the Music and Exposition Hall.